Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pogs Are Sweeping The Nation!! of Ecuador.

Yes, pogs, the craze that swept the pre-teens of the United States off their feet in the early 90´s is back, or at least it is in Duran. I don´t think I really knew how to play the game back then and I dont think the kids here know now either. Just throw one of the little discs toward the ground and alternate. The important thing is just to have a stack of them.

No importa. It´s been awhile since my last blog entry and I appologize for the lack of communication. I ran low on stipend money so I had to focus my funds on more pressing things like frozen yogurt pops. But I´m back and with a little more financial wiggle room! More frozen yogurt pops! Just kidding. but not really. I love Yogoso.

I´ve been keeping busy since I last wrote. No retreat groups in November but currently DePaul University is here in the middle of their stay. They are great! Very friendly, I enjoy talking with them, hanging out. My dad told me to ask them where their basketball team went. I did. They were ashamed. The Big East is a tough conference. Any way, they´re a fun group and I like hearing them talk about Chicago. I told them I know about Gino´s East pizza and Skokie like that would get me an in. They humor me.

But they leave on the 10th, our neighborhood Christmas party is on the 11th (I know it´s too early), and then Cabrini College comes down on the 12th. Cabrini leaves on the 20th, and then we´re in the thick of the holiday season! This month is already starting to fly by.

One thing that we are excited about here is that we know that Christmas means something different for all of us this year. We miss our families very much, especially during this time of year, but we are looking forward to spending this Christmas with our brothers and sisters here in Ecuador. With little to share other than spirit and love we can´t help but think this is how Jesus would want us to celebrate his coming. I think we have plans to visit the patients at the Hansen´s disease clinic, then spend time out in the community, play with the kids, maybe make a banana bread and bring it to some of the neighbors. We have to learn some more spanish Christmas carols besides ¨Feliz Navidad¨. Sister Annie, the director of the clinic, invited us over for Christmas dinner so we´ll head over there to have a nice sit down meal at night. There´s just a lot of love goin around and very little stress. This is probably the least stressed I´ve ever been before a Christmas. Even less then when I was a kid (looking for presents and hoping I got what I wanted was stressfull too!). Anyway I feel like I´m prepared to welcome Jesus into my life this December and it is exciting. It´s nice not waiting till the last minute.

But I´m back on the blog train. More to come soon. I mean it. Until then, I wish everyone an exciting and hopeful Advent season of waiting. Good luck with your preparations and I´ll be keeping you in my heart here.

No comments:

Post a Comment